Mineral makeup has been the answer many women have been looking for when it comes to looking completely natural and covering imperfections in their skin at the same time.
It’s taken the cosmetic market by storm it seems!
Are mineral makeup products the best choice for someone with sensitive skin?
The answer is both yes and no, but it depends on the ingredients in the specific product. Unfortunately, the companies manufacturing makeup, including the mineral brands, are not regulated and so can add pretty much any ingredient they want and still mark it hypoallergenic and safe for the skin.
What Ingredients in Mineral Makeup Can Cause Irritation?
Women with sensitive skin are constantly looking for the newest and best facial care and makeup options because so many of the products on the market today cause their skin to turn red, itch, or otherwise break out.
Mineral foundations and concealers seemed to promise excellent results for sensitive skin because they contain natural minerals. Sadly, some people who tried them were disappointed when their skin had an adverse reaction.
The truth is that even these so-called natural mineral products contain ingredients that are irritants to sensitive skin.
What ingredients should you avoid?
- Parabens or paraben preservatives – potential cancer-causing ingredient and especially irritating to those who suffer with rosacea
- Nanoparticles – tiny particles in mineral makeup that are harmful to the environment, animals, and to us
- Bismuth Oxychloride – labeled as an irritant to the eyes, lungs, and skin and yet it’s still added to makeup to help the product stay on the skin and look natural
- BHT or Butylated Hydroxtoluene – irritant to the lungs, eyes, and skin and could potentially cause harm to the immune system
- Fragrance – synthetically derived and therefore a danger to skin and the body
- Alumina – categorized as a toxin, but added to makeup to keep the product from clumping
- Carmine – a pigment derived from insects that can be an irritant to the skin
Have you experienced acne breakouts, red skin, itchy skin, or the development of pustules on your skin after using mineral makeup?
The cosmetic brand you used may have contained one or more of the ingredients listed above.
Bismuth Oxychloride is found in some of the best brands of makeup, but should be avoided by anyone with sensitive skin.
It’s extremely irritating to the skin.
Additional Ingredients to Look For
Zinc oxide, titanium oxide, and mica are three more ingredients that could potentially be irritating to sensitive skin. These substances may not affect sensitive skin in some people, but will affect others. It’s wise to keep an eye on the ingredients of even the highest rated makeup that contains minerals.
What Mineral Makeup is Safe?
There are good ones out there – you just have to read their ingredient list to make sure none of the ones listed above are in their product. Don’t be misled by the marketing hype associated with a lot of mineral makeup products!
Take a list of these ingredients with you and read the labels before purchasing any makeup or health and beauty item.
It is possible to wear minerals on your skin and not experience adverse side effects!